The Château d’Oiron was constructed in the 16th and 17th centuries by the Gouffier family who dedicated the property to art and culture for over 200 years. The property changed hands in 1700 and then, unfortunately, became abandoned for much of the 18th and 19th centuries.
The chateau became state property in 1941 to preserve what was left of the Renaissance frescoes and painting which remain in a number of the rooms.
Some of the original splendor of the Renaissance art can still be seen
– click image for gallery –
The chateau lies some 45 minutes drive or 50km south of Samur on the southern edge of the Loire Valley region and is, as a result, a less popular destination.
The Ministry of Culture and Communication decided, in 1989, to enrich the historical heritage by setting up a collection of contemporary art designed specifically for the castle by inviting international artists. The result is the rather odd Curios & Mirabilia collection which can be found in the grounds an in some of the castle rooms.