In 1906, Joachim Carvallo purchased the property and poured an enormous amount of time, money and devotion into repairing it and creating extremely beautiful gardens. Its famous Renaissance gardens include a water garden, ornamental flower and vegetable gardens.
Château de Villandry is a grand country house built in the 16th century with extensive formal gardens in the renaissance style. The gardens were restored by Joachim Carvallo following his purchase of the property in 1906. Still owned by the Carvallo family, the Château de Villandry is open to the public and is one of the most visited châteaux in France; in 2007 the château received about 330,000 visitors.