CHÂTEAU DE SERRANT
Built on the foundations of a medieval fortress, the Château de Serrant is a Renaissance château which was constructed in two stages. The Brie family, owners since the 14th century, had plans drawn up to convert the site into a grand Renaissance château. Work started in the early 16th century but only the north tower and the great staircase were complete before they ran out of funds. In 1636 the castle was purchased by Guillaume de Bautru, a State Councillor, and having reviewed the orginal plans, restarted the construction that had been halted a century earlier. Using the same plans and building material, russet schist and white tuffeau stone, he ensured continuity of design.