CHÂTEAU DE MEUNG-SUR-LOIRE
The Château de Meung-sur-Loire was the country residence of the Bishops of Orléans. The oldest part of the property, which dates back to the 12th century, is the square tower built next to the church bell tower. Of the current chateau, four towers were built by Manassès de Seignelay during the period 1207 to 1221 as part of a rectangular building. The castle was occupied by the English in the Hundred Years’ War, a series of conflicts waged from 1337 to 1453. In the 16th century the defensive character was modified to make the property more of a grand home. Later at the start of the 18th century the rear façade was rebuilt in the Classical style following the French Renaissance period in the early 17th century.