The chateau became become part of the Crown Estate in 1553 and King Henry II gave the property, not to the Queen, but to his favorite lady, Diane de Poitiers. Following the death of Henry, the Queen, Catherine de’ Medici remove Diane from the residence and used Chenonceau as her base while Regent to her young son. Over the following centuries, the chateau was home to a number of prominent women which led to the nickname of “the Ladies chateau”.
Visitor notes: Chenonceau attracts large numbers of visitors and become very busy, particularly in the chateau building. There is a large car park at the entrance and an excellent cafe. The Orangerie, the château’s fine-dining restaurant, is located in the Green Garden and is also very popular.