Located halfway between Cheverny and Blois the Renaissance Chateau de Beauregard makes an excellent complement to these more popular locations. The original manor house was built in the late 15th century but this has given way to the current structure which was built by Jean du Thiers secretary of state to King Henry II. He purchased the property in 1545 and had a U shaped renaissance property constructed with residential wings connected by a central gallery. However its main feature was commissioned by Paul Ardier, Comptroller of Wars and Treasurer, who bought the château in 1617. He added further interior decorations over the next few decades, including a gallery of portraits with 327 painting of famous people who lived between 1328 and 1643.