The Château d’Artigny & Spa is a dramatic white building sited high above the river Indre 15km south of Tours. Built between 1921 and 1929 by François Coty, the inventor of modern perfume in the style of the 18th century chateau. Unfortunately Coty died in 1934 and never took up residence at Château d’Artigny. During World War II it was successively occupied by the General Staff of the Ministry of the Navy, by the German troops until 1942, and by an annex of the hospital of Tours until 1946. Christiane Coty, the daughter of the perfumer inherited it in 1947. A little more than 10 years later the property was acquired by René Traversac, the founder of the Grandes Etapes Françaises, who converted the chateau into a luxury hotel which opened its door in March 1961.
Château d’Artigny & Spa in Touraine
Château d’Artigny is now an elegant five star hotel set in 25 hectares of parkland and gardens
– click image for gallery –